Monday, May 14, 2012

A Book Transfigured

Dearest Matya and Atyets:

School is going well. I am taking a Transfiguration class this term. I would like to respectfully comment that Hogwarts is nothing like Durmstrang; there seems to be some silly rule about not Transfiguring students. We are practicing on inanimate objects instead. This poses much less challenge, as they are unable to run away. I do not know if you would approve--what good is magic if you have to stop and think about it?

Well. We are Transfiguring books from the library (and yes, of course we Transfigure them back before re-shelving them. No one wants a library like Uncle Enoch's, with books that sigh and moan in the middle of the night. Except maybe Uncle Enoch. Hmm. Must devote more thought to that, but later. Later.)

Enclosed for your review (and dare I hope, delight) is my report on Transfiguring a Muggle book, The Lord of the Rings and the character who inspired my hand.

Hoping the snows are not too deep for Atyets to go riding. His bear tends to get grouchy when stabled too long--I remember the winter we simply could not keep a stable boy!

All my regard--
Nikolevnischka "Spike" von Schaedelthron


******************************************************************************
Spike
First-Year Student
House Slytherin

When I head Philandry Duntisbourne’s and Begonia Hoddington’s reports on The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, I must admit I was intrigued by the mention of elves. What a clean and lovely place they must live in, with legions upon legions of elves doing the washing, ironing, dusting …

Well. “Rude shock” describes what I found in the books’ pages. Mr. Tolkien obviously lives in a world of complete fantasy, unlike the sane and sensible place we inhabit. He insists these elves are lithe and graceful, rather than modeled on the useful but ungainly potato. He also imbues them with a goblin’s sensibilities for creation, rather than the well-meant, but less than esthetic creations our dear little helpers so often wreak.

Nevertheless, I decided I would knit a pair of socks (we all know how fond of socks elves are) for one of the characters, a Mr. Elrond.

They are made of good, serviceable wool (which should afford him hours of pleasure in both the wearing and in the hand-washing) and have a pleasing pattern worked into the sock (assuming he would appreciate the same).


Thanking you very much for your time and consideration—
Very truly yours,
Spike

No comments: